Sunday, March 1, 2009

Within in this blog I want to share so much about myself and my family. 

I am someone who would very much love to be self sufficient. But due to circumstances at present we are to live in the city. I do as much as I can to live a life like this. For instance we only drink raw milk I travel quite a long distance weekly simply to purchase it. We make our own yogurt with it and I would love to make my own cheese one day. Perhaps when I am a little more organised.
I also Grind my own grains with my electric grinder. We don't buy flour as a rule as we use whole wheat or what ever other grains we have to grind to produce our own stone ground organic flour.  We have made our own veggie garden which is so much fun and is quite big for the city. 

We had chickens sometime ago and are planning to acquire more I am looking at present at which is the best pen to house them in before we make the commitment once again.

There are so many I would love to do like grow my own beef, pork, lamb have orchards but at present this is not possible.

I have been trying to make food from the stuff I grow and have been thinking what I can do with it. I have made basil pest using the 3 types I have sweet, lemon and Thai it was divine. I will post the recipe at a another time. 

Tonight's dinner has a layer effect with a tomato sauce that has capsicums & plenty of fresh herbs from our garden . The next layer is one of fresh silver beet form our garden then a layer of char grilled eggplants from our garden, then one of thigh fillets which have been chopped and previously browned on both sides. Followed by a ricotta cheese layer which has two eggs mixed into it along with Parmesan, salt and pepper. Then another layer of chicken then another layer of the tomato sauce mixture. placed into the oven and cooked at 180 degrees for 45 minutes then topped with Parmesan and cooked for a little more. Served with a little brown rice. Yummo! I don't have a picture of it but will endeavour to produce photos with a lot of my other recipes. 

Have a great day and remember tomorrow is a new day without any mistakes!
Petaxx

1 comment:

  1. HI Peta,

    I only just discovered that you had started blog. Looks great so far - you've got some real cute kids.
    Love this post about self-sufficiency. It's something I'm striving for too. We have some chooks and I love getting fresh eggs every day. Your dinner sounds yummy. I look forward to seeing some recipes in the future.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete